Friday, August 20, 2010

A mom of boys

So we are outside in the back yard swimming in our massive pool. Ash is running around naked. I'm working with Caius trying to get him over his sensory issues by putting his feet in the water. Asher starts playing in the yard and goes around the side of the house and starts calling for me.

When I go over there I see what has caught his amazement. The irrigation box that has three valves in it. You know what I'm talking about? It has a lid, it is flush with the ground, full of bugs and other interesting things. Yeah that's the one.

Asher he has taken the lid off and is peering over the edge and pointing. I look in and see a bunch of ants running for their lives and 4 cockroaches. Not little cockroaches mind you, I'm talking Texas sized gross cockroaches! Asher is completely wowed. He puts his hand in the box very slowly maybe an inch and then yanks it out real fast laughing hysterically. He continued to do this over and over each time getting lower and lower and laughing harder and harder. The roaches were trapped in the box and couldn't climb the walls so they would just speed around the bottom of the box running in circles. I figured we would be there a while so I sat down and used this opportunity to put Caius' feet in the grass and continue the sensory training. What I really did, in hind sight, was put my self in a dangerous position that I couldn't easily or quickly retreat from.

So the scene... a naked two year old squatted down and laughing his head off. Me sitting not a foot from him, crossed legged on the ground holding a naked baby in my lap. All of a sudden it hits me and no I'm talking about an idea. I'm talking about a cockroach!! Asher had gotten so close that one had actually latched onto his hand and when he yanked his hand out that launched that sucker onto me.

Now I am not as thrilled with cockroaches as my 2 year old son. Surprising, I know! It was everything I could do to keep my composure enough to knock the roach away while keeping everyone alive. I did however scream and jump. Asher was shocked! What had I done? He ran over to check on the roach but alas it had taken cover in the grass. Asher looked and looked and when he couldn't find it, he went back to the box. Having learned my lesson I stood and watched him try to pick up the remaining roaches. Luckily none were as advantageous as the first.

When I noticed the ants crawling on him, Ash was completely unaware of this fact, I talked him into going back to the swimming pool where the only thing I could get thrown on me was water.

1 comment: